The Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford seeks interns to contribute to our work in the areas of AI policy, AI governance, and AI strategy. Our work in this area touches on a range of topics and areas of expertise, including international relations, international institutions and global cooperation, international law, international political economy, game theory and mathematical modelling, and survey design and statistical analysis. Previous interns at FHI have worked on issues of public opinion, technology race modelling, the bridge between short-term and long-term AI policy, the development of AI and AI policy in China, case studies in comparisons with related technologies, and many other topics. You will also get the opportunity to live in Oxford – one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the UK.
Preferred traits of a candidate include
- having a strong background in a relevant field such as political science, public policy, economics, law, or computer science;
- previous work on AI or AI policy;
- career plans that would benefit from this internship;
- expertise in Chinese language skills and Chinese politics;
- experience with the effective altruism movement and familiarity with related ideas. Highly talented undergraduates, graduate students, and those who have taken time off before graduate school are welcome to apply.
- Closeness of match to preferred traits discussed above.
- You should be able to undertake independent research at postgraduate level with minimal supervision.
- You should be fluent in English
- You must be available to come to Oxford for approximately 12 weeks (please indicate the period when you would be available when you apply).
This is a paid internship. Candidates from underrepresented demographic groups are especially encouraged to apply.
There are no deadlines for applications but it is best to contact us at least 3-4 months before the intended start of the internship, especially if you would require a visa to work in the UK. Internships for the summer holiday fill up especially quickly, so we especially encourage potential candidates who can intern during term.
To apply, please send a CV and a short statement of interest (including relevant research experience and familiarity and interested in AI policy, governance, and strategy) to email@example.com.